Skip to main content

Radio Warfare Establishment renamed Central Signals Establishment

cse

In the autumn of 1946 the Radio Warfare Establishment at RAF Watton was renamed the Central Signals Establishment and came under the control of 90 Group. It gradually collected a range of electronic warfare, electronic intelligence and radio counter-measures units that had served in different capacities during the Second World War. Its main activities were divided between intelligence-gathering and radar-jamming. Its radar-jamming assets, mostly fitted to Lincoln aircraft, were especially effective due to the invention of the carcinotron, and remained so until the advent of frequency-hopping radars that forced the jammers to dilute their signal. Above is an early example of the exotic elint equipment that CSE developed and fitted to its menagarie of specialist aircraft.