Eastcote was a former wartime outstation of Bletchley Park and, like Stanmore, had been used to house 'Bombes', the high speed checkers which looked for matches in Enigma traffic. Bletchley Park was moved in several waves, led by the Soviet Bloc components, in the spring of 1946. Located on the edge of London near Pinner, it provided the codebreakers with what they called a "London Signals Intelligence Centre", allowing them to be closer to Whitehall. However, Commander Edward Travis became increasingly aware that in any possible future war with Russia, there would not be time to evacuate to avoid bombing. Moreover, the post-war expansion of GCHQ meant that the Eastcote site became increasingly cramped. By 1948 an active search was under way for safer premises away from London. The above photo shows the remains of Eastcote in the 1990s.