I am a Doctoral Candidate in the Department of Politics and International Studies, working under the supervision of Professor Peter Burnell and Professor Jan Aart Scholte. I have worked in the field of development aid before I started my PhD study in 2010. Prior to my eight-years working experiences (as explained in detail below), I obtained M.A. from University of Sussex, UK (Development Studies) and B.A. from Osaka University (of Foreign Studies), Japan (International Relations). My main research interest rests on development aid policy and political economy of aid.
My PhD research examines collective action in global governance by taking a case of the OECD Development Assistance Committee. The research will analyse motivation and incentives of actors in the Committee and in development aid, in order to agree on the common objectives and implement them. It will also explore the form of institutional arrangements in enhancing global governance.
I worked for Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs as a researcher/advisor at Delegation of Japan to the OECD in Paris (Development Assistance Committee: 2008-10) and Embassy of Japan in Uganda (Economic Cooperation Section: 2003-06), where I experienced both managing project aid and aid policy coordination. My other working experiences include research associate at National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies(Development Forum: 2007-08). During that time I had opportunities to collaborate with UK researchers and practitioners on development aid, resulted in a publication on Diversity and Complementarity in Development Aid-East Asian Lessons for African Growth-, as well as working as a secretariat for the group for renovating Japanese ODA, which produced ODA Manifesto.
- Owa, M. (2014, in Japanese) 'Transition and Limitation of Development Aid Policy: a case of OECD Development Assistance Committee' in Nishikawa, J., Obayashi, M. & Sakamoto, K. (eds.) Endogenous Development in Rebirthed Africa- People's Self-help and Support, Showado
- Owa, M. (2011) 'Revisiting the Paris Declaration Agenda-an inclusive, realistic orientation for aid effectiveness', Journal of Development in Practice Vol.21 No.7 <Peer Reviewed Journal>
- Ohno, I., Ohno, K. and Owa, M. (eds.) (2008), Diversity and Complementarity in Development Aid-East Asian Lessons for African Growth- , Tokyo: GRIPS Development Forum
- Owa, M. (Apr, 2013) 'Diffusion of International Development Policy: the Case of OECD Development Assistance Committee', conference paper planned to be presented at 2013 International Studies Association Annual Conference, to be held in Sanfrancisco, US. (Travel grant from International Studies Association)
- Owa, M. (Oct, 2012) 'Collective action in international cooperation- the case of OECD DAC' (in Japanese), conference paper presented at 2012 Annual Convention of the Japan Association of International Relations, held in Nagoya, Japan. 19-21 Oct, 2012.
- Owa, M. (July, 2012) 'Mechanism of policy process in the OECD DAC', conference paper presented at The XXIInd World Congress of Political Science, held in Madrid, Spain. 8-12 July 2012. (Travel grant from Japan Association of International Relations)
- Owa, M. (June, 2012) 'Aid coordination in the DAC: What has (not) been achieved so far and why?', conference paper presented at 2012 International BISA-ISA conference, held in Edinburgh, UK. 20-22 June, 2012. (Travel grant from BISA)
- Owa, M. (Aug, 2011) 'Collective action in the OECD Development Assistance Committee- what hinders better global aid governance?', workshop paper presented at Workshop of Alliance for Governance Research and Analysis III , held in Oslo, Norway. 31 Aug-1 Sep, 2011. (All the costs were covered by the organiser)
- Takahashi, M. & Owa, M. (Oct, 2010) 'Last frontier of Japan's ODA? -Peculiarity, potentials and pitfalls of her cooperation for African development', material presented by Professor Motoki Takahashi at a seminar on "The TICAD Initiative: What is new in Japanese Economic Assistance to Africa?" organized by University of Leeds with SOAS and JICA, held in Leeds and London, UK. 11-12 Oct, 2010.
- Speaker in a final discussion panel (2nd Feb, 2013), Warwick International Aid Forum ' Our Problem, Their Problem or No Problem?', University of Warwick
- Owa, M. (Jul, 2012) 'OECD as an International Organisation: gaps between expectations and reality', guest lecture at King's College London (International Political Economy Summer Course)
- Owa, M. (Nov, 2011) 'Japan's Relationship with European Countries in the Field of Development Cooperation', guest lecture at King's College London (Department of European & International Studies)
- Owa, M. (Jul, 2010) 'OECD and International Development (in Japanese)', guest lecture at Ryukoku University
I have acted as a referee for the below journals since 2010.
Journal of Development Studies, Journal of Development in Practice, Journal of Development Effectiveness
- British International Studies Association Founders Fund (2013)
- Tuition Grant from The Allan & Nesta Ferguson Charitable Trust ( (2013
- The Japan Foundation Endowment Committee Research Grant for field research in Japan (2012)
- Scholar of Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship Programme 2010-2012
- Rotary Foundation Ambassadorial Scholar 2000-2001
- Member of International Studies Association, US
- Member of Development Studies Association, UK
- Member of British International Studies Association, UK
- Member of International Political Science Association
- Member of Japan Association of International Relations
- Member of Japan Society for International Development
- Member of Japan Association for African Studies