Email: b dot jacobs at warwick dot ac dot uk
I hold a BA Honours Degree in Economics & Politics and an MA in Politics from the University of Leeds. My PhD is in Politics from Keele University. Following employment in UK central and local government, I conducted urban policy research in the EU and USA. I gained extensive experience in delivering professional development and consultancy assignments to UK non-profit and public sector clients. I became Professor Emeritus in Urban Governance at Staffordshire University in 2014 and Visiting Professor at PAIS in 2016.
My substantive interests are in urban governance, policy and crisis management. Specific interests include complex policy networks, innovation and knowledge diffusion.
I am currently a Leverhulme Emeritus Fellow in PAIS researching “Offsite housing in London: Innovation, Knowledge and Public Policy”. The study views knowledge diffusion and policy innovation through networks promoting offsite manufactured (prefabricated and modular) housing. The study views London’s global significance as a centre for innovation and the uptake in public policy of new approaches to mass housing provision and resident involvement.
- Jacobs, B. (2015). Community sociology. In J. Wright (Ed.), International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioral Sciences (pp.361-368). Oxford: Elsevier.
- Jacobs, B. (2013). Contingency planning. In K. Penuel, M. Statler and R. Hagen (Eds.), Encyclopedia of crisis management, Volume 1 (pp.153-159). New York: SAGE.
- Jacobs, B. et al. (2012). The new challenges of mega-crises. In A. Boin, L. Comfort and B. Jacobs, (Eds.), Mega-crises: Understanding the prospects, nature, characteristics and the effects of cataclysmic events (pp. 5-11). Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas.
- Jacobs, B. (2012), Megacities under adversity: Ideology, risk, and good urban governance. In A. Boin, L. Comfort and B. Jacobs, (Eds.), Mega-crises: Understanding the prospects, nature, characteristics and the effects of cataclysmic events (pp. 237- 259). Springfield, Ill.: Charles C. Thomas.
- Jacobs, B.D. (2009) . Black politics and urban crisis in Britain. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Jacobs, B. (2009). Developing performance management in a Local Strategic Partnership: Context and critical issues. International Journal of Public Sector Management, 22 (5), (pp. 432- 444).