- Educational Goods: Values, Evidence, and Decision-Making (with Harry Brighouse, Helen F. Ladd and Susanna Loeb) (Chicago University Press, forthcoming 2017)
- Family Values: The Ethics of Parent-Child Relationships (with Harry Brighouse) (Princeton University Press 2014)
[Reviews by Samantha Brennan (Theory and Research in Education), Tim Fowler (Ethics), Gideon Calder (European Journal of Political Theory), George Sher (Social Theory and Practice), David Archard (Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews), J�rg L�schke (Ethical Theory and Moral Practice); symposium in Law, Ethics and Philosophy, 2015 with Luara Ferracioli, Anca Gheaus and Sarah Stroud, and our reply]
- Political Philosophy: A Beginners’ Guide for Students and Politicians (Polity 2001, 2006, 3rd edition 2013)
- How Not To Be A Hypocrite: School Choice for the Morally Perplexed Parent (Routledge Falmer 2003)
[Symposium in Theory and Research in Education, 2004]
- Against the Odds? Social Class and Social Justice in Industrial Societies (with Gordon Marshall and Stephen Roberts) (Oxford University Press 1997)
- Liberals and Communitarians (with Stephen Mulhall) (Blackwell 1992, 2nd edition 1996)
[This is translated into Japanese, Korean and Spanish]
"Social Justice: Ideal Theory, Nonideal Circumstances" (with Ingrid Robeyns), special issue of Social Theory and Practice, 34(3) July 2008
- 'Family Values Reconsidered: A Response' (with Harry Brighouse), Critical Review of Social and Political Philosophy (forthcoming)
- 'Dethroning Democratic Legitimacy' (with Zofia Stemplowska), Oxford Studies in Political Philosophy 5 (forthcoming)
- 'Family Value Without Gender' in E. Mbonda and T. Ngosso (eds.) Theories de la Justice: Justice globale, agents de la justice et justice de genre (Louvain UP, 2016)
- 'Educational Goods and Values: A Framework for Decision-Makers' (with Harry Brighouse, Helen F. Ladd, and Susanna Loeb), Theory and Research in Education, 2016.
- 'Advantage, Authority, Autonomy and Continuity: A Response to Ferracioli, Gheaus and Stroud' (with Harry Brighouse), Law, Ethics and Philosophy, 2015.
- 'The Place of Educational Equality in Educational Justice' (with Harry Brighouse) in K. Meyer (ed.) Education, Justice and the Human Good (Routledge), 2014.
- 'The Goods of Parenting' (with Harry Brighouse), in F. Baylis and C. McLeod (eds.) Family-Making: Contemporary Ethical Challenges (Oxford University Press), 2014.
- 'Ideal and Nonideal Theory in Rawls' (with Zofia Stemplowska), in J. Mandle and D. Reidy (eds.) A Companion to Rawls (Blackwell), 2013
- 'Family' and 'Parents' Rights and Responsibilities' (with Harry Brighouse), in H. LaFollette (ed.) International Encyclopedia of Ethics (Wiley-Blackwell), 2013
- 'Family Values and Schools Policy: Shaping Values and Conferring Advantage', with Harry Brighouse, in D. Allen and R. Reich (eds.) Education, Justice, Democracy (Chicago UP), 2013. [This book won the 2013 American Publishers Award for Scholarly Excellence in the Education category.]
- 'Response to Heckman', contribution to forum on Promoting Social Mobility in the Boston Review September/October 2012
- 'Schools and Social Mobility' (with Vikki Boliver), Sociology Review 22(2) 2012
- 'Ideal and Nonideal Theory' (with Zofia Stemplowska), in D. Estlund (ed.) Oxford Handbook of Political Philosophy (OUP), 2012
- 'Legitimate Partiality, Parents and Patriots' (with Harry Brighouse), in A. Gosseries and Y. Vanderborght (eds.) Arguing About Justice: Essays for Philippe Van Parijs (Louvain UP 2011)
- 'Comprehensive Schools and Social Mobility' (with Vikki Boliver), Renewal 19(2) July 2011
- 'Do comprehensive schools reduce social mobility?' (with Vikki Boliver), British Journal of Sociology 62(1) March 2011
- 'School Choice for those who have no choice' (with Harry Brighouse), Questa 1 March 2010
- 'Educational Equality v Educational Adequacy: A Response to Anderson and Satz' (with Harry Brighouse), Journal of Applied Philosophy 26(2) May 2009
- 'Legitimate Parental Partiality' (with Harry Brighouse), Philosophy and Public Affairs 37(1) Winter 2009 [German translation in M. Betzler and B. Bleisch (eds.) Famili�re Pflichten (Suhrkamp, 2015).]
- 'Putting Educational Equality in its Place' (with Harry Brighouse), Education Finance and Policy 3(4) October 2008.
- 'Comment on Carole Pateman and Charles Mills: Contract and Domination', Journal of Political Ideologies October 2008
- 'The Value of Philosophy in Nonideal Circumstances', Social Theory and Practice 34(3) July 2008.
- 'Political Theory, Social Science, and Real Politics' (with Stuart White), in D. Leopold and M. Stears (eds.) Political Theory: Methods and Approaches (Oxford University Press 2008).
- 'Social Justice and the Family' (with Harry Brighouse), in G. Craig, D. Gordon and T. Burchardt (eds.) Social Justice and Public Policy (Policy Press 2008).
- 'The End of the Tory War on Single Parents?' (with Harry Brighouse), Public Policy Research November 2007
- 'Egalitarianism' (with Harry Brighouse), New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics (2nd ed)
- 'Parents' Rights and the Value of the Family', (with Harry Brighouse), Ethics October 2006. [Reprinted in A. Bailey et al (eds.) The Broadview Anthology of Social and Political Thought: The Twentieth Century and Beyond (2008)]
- 'Equality, Priority and Positional Goods' (with Harry Brighouse), Ethics April 2006
- ’Justice, Luck and the Family’, in S. Bowles, H.Gintis and M.Osborne-Groves (eds.) Unequal Chances: Family Background and Economic Success (Princeton UP 2005)
- ’Political Philosophy and Politics’ in A. Leftwich (ed.) What Is Politics? (Polity 2004)
- The Morality of School Choice Reconsidered: A Response, Theory and Research in Education 2004. [This appears in Catalan in M. �ngel Alegre, X. Rambla and O. Valiente (eds.) L'elecci� de centre escolar a Catalunya. Elements per a un debat 2009.]
- ’The Morality of School Choice’, Theory and Research in Education 2004
- 'Would Perfect Mobility be Perfect?’, European Sociological Review 2004
- 'Defending Liberalism in Education Theory' with Harry Brighouse, Journal of Education Policy 2003.
- 'Seizing the Opportunity: The Influence of Preferences and Aspirations on Social Immobility', New Economy 2003
- ’Rawls and Communitarianism’ (with Stephen Mulhall) in S. Freeman (ed.) The Cambridge Companion to Rawls (CUP 2003)
- ’Social Justice: Why Does It Matter What The People Think?’ in D. Bell and A. de-Shalit (eds.) Forms of Justice (Rowman and Littlefield 2003)
- 'Class Analysis from a Normative Perspective', British Journal of Sociology 2000
- 'The Relation between Social-Scientific and Philosophical Analyses of Distributive Justice', Ethical Theory and Moral Practice 1999
- 'What Is and What Ought to Be: Popular Beliefs about Distributive Justice in 13 Countries' (with Gordon Marshall, Carole Burgoyne, and David Routh), European Sociological Review 1999
- 'On the Meaning and Measurement of Inequality' (with Gordon Marshall), Acta Sociologica 1999
- 'Wesolowski, Walzer and the Complex Good of Education' in Melvin L. Kohn et al (eds.) Power and Social Structure, Essays in Honour of Wlodzimierz Wesolowski (Polish Academy of Sciences, 1999)
- 'Meritocratic Equality of Opportunity: Economic Efficiency, Social Justice, or Both?' (with Gordon Marshall), Policy Studies 1997
- 'Merit and Mobility: A Reply to Peter Saunders' (with Gordon Marshall) Sociology 1996
- 'The Social Self in Political Theory: The Communitarian Critique of the Liberal Subject' (with Stephen Mulhall), in D. Bakhurst and C. Sypnowich (eds.) The Social Self (Sage, 1995)
- 'Class, Gender, and the Asymmetry Hypothesis' (with Gordon Marshall, Carole Burgoyne, David Routh and Stephen Roberts), European Sociological Review 1995
- 'The Sociology of Complex Equality', in D. Miller and M. Walzer (eds.) Pluralism, Justice and Equality (OUP 1995)
- 'Social Class and Social Justice' (with Gordon Marshall), British Journal of Sociology 1993 and in G. Marshall Repositioning Class: Social Inequality in Industrial Societies (Sage, 1997)
Work in progress
- 'Family Values Reconsidered: Reply to 6 critics' (with Harry Brighouse), Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy
- 'School Composition and Admissions: The Case of Religion' (with Matthew Clayton, Andrew Mason and Ruth Wareham)