We have long-standing study abroad agreements with partner universities in countries around the world. The benefits of placement learning are wide and varied, including the experience of living in a different country; the development of academic and personal skills; the experience of a different educational system; and the development of language skills. These benefits not only enhance key skills but also enrich your personal development. The PAIS department offers you two options for study abroad: integrated or intercalated.
Integrated – study abroad included within your three year degree
Most university degrees that incorporate study abroad will add a year to your standard three year programme – but on three of our core programmes you can integrate study abroad into your three year degree. An integrated year allows you to replace all or some of year two of your programme with a year abroad.
Students on BA Politics, BA Politics and International Studies, and BA Politics and Sociology are eligible for the North America Exchange. Students on BA Politics and BA Politics and International Studies are eligible for the City University Hong Kong exchange.
Intercalated – study abroad adding a year to your degree
This option will add one year to your degree programme. You can either study at one of our partner universities or set up an approved work placement.
The intercalated exchanges are available to students on the BA in Politics, BA Politics and International Studies, BA Politics, International Studies and Quantitative Methods and BA Politics and Sociology.
Students on our BA Politics, International Studies and Modern Languages degrees will spend a compulsory year of study or work in a country where their chosen language is spoken.
To find out more about the PAIS department's study abroad opportunities, please click on the image of the location(s) of interest below.
Please be aware that the list is illustrative of the types of options that will be available in future years.
Japan and Australia
As part of the Warwick-Monash Alliance, PAIS is able to offer an exchange opportunity with Monash University in Australia. We also offer two exchange programmes in Japan. Both of these exchanges offer the opportunity to spend one year literally on the other side of the world at:
- Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan
- Waseda University, Tokyo, Japan
- Monash University: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia or Selangor, Malaysia
The department offers students the exciting opportunity to swap their lives at Warwick for a year in either the United States of America or Canada. These highly competitive placements are available at:
- University of California, USA
- University of North Carolina, USA
- University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
The Erasmus programme provides the opportunity to study at one of our partner institutions across Europe, which include:
- Sciences Po, Paris, France
- Sciences Po, Paris-Reims, France
- Sciences Po, Grenoble, France
- Sciences Po, Aix-en-Provence, France
- Sciences Po, Lyon, France
- Universit�t Konstanz, Germany
- Freie Universit�t, Berlin, Germany
- Humboldt Universit�t, Berlin, Germany
- Universit�t Wien, Vienna, Austria
- Universit�t Salzburg, Salzburg, Austria
- Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
- Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Spain
- Universit� Bocconi, Milan, Italy
- Universit� degli Studi di Firenze, Florence, Italy
- Uppsala Universitet, Sweden
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Universitet i Bergen, Norway
The department offers two types of exchange programme in Hong Kong: a half year integrated exchange at City University of Hong Kong in Year 2, or a full year of study spent at one of the following Hong Kong universities:
- University of Hong Kong
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
The University also provides opportunities to do international summer schools; the Summer School at Renmin University in China is a popular destination for PAIS students whether they participate in our study abroad programme or not. More info on studying abroad through PAIS or through the university can be found on the International Office study abroad pages.