Aimed at: Counsellors-in-training wanting professional placements for non-clinical trainee hours
Some courses also require that, before you begin your counselling practice, you spend some time in a counselling organisation getting experience of being in a counselling environment (we call this our non-clinical placement). At the University of Warwick Counselling Service, we offer separate placement opportunities to fulfil both these requirements.
Foundation Degree students or equivalent who have a requirement to undertake a number of (usually between 30 to 60) hours volunteering in a counselling setting may benefit from our non-clinical counselling trainee placement. Some courses refer to this as a work based learning placement (WBL).
What the University Counselling Service offers to trainees:
- The experience of being involved with an established Counselling Service
- An opportunity to gain some insight in to the workings of a counselling service in the Higher Education Sector
- The chance to be working alongside a multi-model counselling team
- A commitment to support trainee needs
- Invitation to in-house training events throughout the academic year
- flexible times (pre-arranged) to make up your required number of hours for your course
What does the University Counselling Service require from trainees on placement?
- A willingness to undertake general duties and administrative tasks such as photocopying, shredding, proof reading of web texts, etc.
- a capacity to undertake simple statistical data collection and collation
- a keenness to overview and monitor the University Counselling Service web site
NB Trainees will need to have some individual, contracted face-to-face counselling hours' experience before being eligible to apply for progression on to the clinical counselling placement. Any boundary conflicts with the University of Warwick need to be considered.
The UCS looks for enthusiastic, keen trainees with initiative.
Interested? For more details and to discuss your suitability, telephone the University Counselling Service and ask to speak to Monique Wearden (placement co-ordinator) on 024 765 23761 or email M.Wearden@warwick.ac.uk
- You will be required to complete a short application form which can be submitted by email, and if suitable, you will be invited in to the Counselling Service for an informal discussion interview.
If you are interested, please contact Monique Wearden on 02476 523761.
The placement provided an excellent 'taster' to check I was interested in working in the Higher Education Sector when I'd qualified."
It was a great way of experiencing the ethos of a professional Counselling Service in action"
The placement has offered me the opportunity to reflect on the theory studied at college and see how it translates in to practice. "
Click for Personal Reflections