Skip to main content

Travel & Health Overseas

There can be health and safety risks associated with travel overseas.

Travellers with significant health issues, allergies, require long term medications, or who may be pregnant should seek advice and written confirmation from their GP or specialist with regards to their fitness to travel and forward this to the person responsible for deciding on the requirement for travel. They should also check that there is adequate health insurance in place for the type of activities they may be undertaking in relation to work and leisure time while overseas.

The GP/Specialist will need to know details of travel arrangements and activities which may be undertaken.

Medications – travellers should carry adequate medical supplies/medications to last the duration of their trip and make sure they have enough medical supplies/medications available in their hand luggage to last until they reach their destination and seek advice from their travel operator regarding any restrictions which may apply.

Dental and other appropriate medical checkups are advisable before extended travel to areas with poor medical facilities.

Travel Vaccinations may be required and need to be completed before departure. The University does not have an in-house travel clinic but further advice with regards obtaining travel vaccination, First Aid and medical equipment e.g. syringes/needles, mosquito protection, water purification, can be sought from MASTA - The Medical Advisory Service to Travellers Abroad, but does incur a cost.

The guidance on Student Placements contains information relevant to travel overseas in travel, personal factors, location and environment, insurance matters and control measure including emergency contact details.

Where travel overseas is on university business relevant University health and safety policies apply. Those travelling overseas should assess any risks involved. The person authorising the travel should assure themselves that the arrangements are acceptable and hold documentary evidence to confirm this. General guidance on such risks is available here. Separate guidance is also provided for conducting Fieldwork in connection with your visit, which incorporates things to consider whilst preparing your risk assessment and contingency planning.

Students with a disability travelling overseas on University business may wish to seek advice from Disability Services

Occupational Health can be contacted if further advice is required.

Any accidents, untoward incidents and health and safety issues must be reported to the Health and Safety Department. Risk assessment and control measures should be reviewed in light of any incidents and any appropriate changes made.