Normal computing devices such as desktops, laptops and games consoles can be used to connect in the residences, but residents should note that servers and other network equipment such as switches or wireless routers are NOT allowed.
If you are using Microsoft Windows, please note that older versions (95, 98, 2000, ME,XP) are not supported.
If you use a PC running Linux, a Mac, or another type of device (games console, etc) then you should not need any special settings to be able to connect to ResNet. However Help Desk support for connecting to the ResNet can only be on a 'best endeavours' basis.
Whatever device you are using, you are strongly advised to follow a sensible approach to computer security. Every year we help many residents with computer problems that turn out to be caused by a virus or a trojan.
- Apply the latest security updates to your operating system
- Apply the latest security updates to your browser and other software applications
- Set applications to check for updates and tell you when they are available e.g. Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Consider un-installing add-in software and toolbars that you never use. e.g. Java
- Install Anti-Virus Software and allow it to get frequent updates
- Install Anti-Spyware Software and allow it to get frequent updates
- Do not disable the firewall provided by your operating system or anti-virus software
- Beware of phishing emails and websites. IT Services will NEVER ask for your password
Please report any issues to the Student Computing Help Desk
Telephone: 024 765 75000