When do I need to use the VPN service ?
There are clear instances of when you would need to use the service. Likewise there are instances of when you don't need to use the service.
You need the VPN when:
- You want to use the wireless hotspot service securely. (You will need to login to the wireless hotspot service before establishing a secure connection via the VPN network service)
- You want to access internal network resources not available directly externally.
- You want to access Janet or Internet resources that are limited to ac.uk domains.
- You want to Remote Desktop to your office PC to access local files or use an application that's only licenced to operate from your office PC.
You don't need the VPN when:
- You want to access your University email using Office 365 - Please click here for more information about using Office 365 for email access.
- You want to access your personal "H" drive home folders and documents, or your "M" Drive departmental shared folders and documents using the Warwick MyFiles service - Please click here for more information about using Warwick MyFiles.
- You want to upload and store, share folders and send files to others using the Files.Warwick service - Please click here for more information about using Files.Warwick.
- You want to access SITS or SAP services using the Remote Desktop Services - Please click here for more information about accessing the SITS or SAP services using Remote Desktop Services.
VPN Performance Limitations:
Please be aware that although the VPN service provides a secure and convenient method of connecting to the Campus network remotely, there are limiting factors that will affect performance, due to the contention throughput capacity limitations of the VPN by design.
The service was designed to deliver a secure and easy method for light use, to enable users to access internal network resources not available directly externally, or Janet or Internet resources that are limited to ac.uk domains.
The service wasn’t designed to cope with large file uploads and download transfers, as the performance will be compromised as a contended service.
If you need to work with larger files remotely, IT Services provide other secure SSL web services (mentioned above; files.warwick, myflies.warwick), that are designed for users to work with larger files.