We recommend that you use the news page template rather than the default blank page template to publish news items in SiteBuilder. The benefits are:
- News items display chronologically, most recent first, and you can pin important news to the top.
- You can embed a news feed in another page, say your home page, which automatically updates when you publish a news item.
- You can tag news items with keywords, say ‘Publications’ or ‘Postgraduate’, to enable visitors to filter busy news pages according to their own interests.
- You can filter news feeds by tag. This is useful for feeding a subset of news to other pages in your website, such as research news or announcements for current students.
In this article:
Create a news page
- Go to the page under which you want to create a news page.
- Go to Edit > Create a new page. (You need edit or admin permissions on the parent page.)
- Select Change page template to expand the options, then select the News page template.
- Specify the number of recent news items to show when the page loads. (Most recent items display first and visitors can view older items via pagination links.)
- Choose where to display tags – on the right or at the top.
- Specify whether or not news item images display in the abstract – visitors click through from an abstract to view the full news item.
- Choose whether or not to show Facebook Like buttons for public news items.
- Enter the URL, page heading, title bar caption and link caption. (For a description of these properties, see: how do I create a new blank page?)
- Enter the keywords and page contact.
- When you have finished editing the page properties, select the Create new page button.
- Visit your published page. It's ready for you to post a news item.
Change an existing page to a news page
Caution: You can't change a news page template to another template. So, if you change an existing page to use the news page template, be sure you don't need any existing content; you can't revert to the old page.
- Go to the page you want to change to a news page.
- Go to Edit > Edit page properties.
- Click Change page template and options.
- Click the Change button and select the News template.
- Specify the number of recent news items to show when the page loads.
- When you have finished editing the page properties, select the Save changes button.
- Your page is now using the news page template. It's ready for you to post a news item.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem