It is often useful to have files appear or disappear from a SiteBuilder page at a specified point. You might, for example, want lecture notes to appear as soon as the lecture is over, or have an application form be removed when the deadline is passed.
It is currently possible to do this using a combination of editing the permissions associated with the file and Scheduled Changes. However, this can lead to confusion. As an editor you will always be able to see the file in, for example, a Table of Contents page making it difficult to guarantee what will appear to end users. Also, if end users directly try and access the file they will be told they do not have permission. This inherently confirms that the file does exist and users may think that they should have permission at the current time.
To try and avoid these problems you can set the date and time when a file will become available and be unavailable. When a file is unavailable SiteBuilder behaves to an end user as if this file does not exist. This means that the file will not appear in Table of Contents pages, Site Map page, Table of Tags pages etc. even for editors. The only place the file will be displayed is in the Files tab of the Edit section, where it is appropriately marked as 'unavailable'.
To make a file available or unavailable:
- Browse to the page beneath which the file is uploaded and click on the Edit link.
- In the Edit section click the Files tab.
- Select the appropriate file and click on Edit properties.
You can set a time and date for the file to become available, unavailable, or both.
- To make a file available after a certain date click the checkbox labelled 'Make file available on a certain date' so that it is selected. Some extra fields will appear allowing you to specify the date and time. Set the appropriate date in time using the drop-down boxes or the Date picker .
- To make a file unavailable after a certain date click the checkbox labelled 'Make file unavailable on a certain date' so that it is selected. Some extra fields will appear allowing you to specify the date and time. Set the appropriate date in time using the drop-down boxes or the Date picker .
- Click on the Save button .
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem