A ratings set is a very useful way of allowing people to rate several related items on the same scale and can be used for any number of things you wish people to rate. You can use a numeric ratings scale of 1-10 or a textual ratings scale. The single choice ratings set uses option buttons and the user makes just one selection for each item being rated.
Here's an example of where you could use a ratings set. You have run a course recently and you want to get people's opinion of the course. You could use the ratings set to get some feedback on all the different aspects of the day, such as the course admin, the documentation supplied, catering, talks etc.
- Go to the form that you wish to edit.
- Select Edit > Edit formsbuilder page or Edit this form from the bottom of the form. A list of edit options will appear on the left hand side of the form.
- Select the Single choice ratings set at the bottom of the Choice options.
The Add/Edit a single choice ratings set edit screen will be displayed:
- Enter a Field name to be used in submission results. You will see this field is starred in red. This means this is a compulsory field and you will not be able to save the field until this is added. If the field name is self-explanatory, this can double as the label.
- Enter a Label for the text box visible to the user. Here you can provide detailed instructions for the user. If you leave the Label blank, then the Field name will be used.
- Enter the first item in the Possible ratings field - this is the ratings scale. You can have a maximum of up to 10 Possible ratings, which could either be a numerical scale (1-10) or a textual scale, such as Excellent, Good, Average, Poor, Very poor, for example.
- Use the Add new item button under Possible ratings section to continue to add all the ratings you need.
- Then add the first entry into the Items to rate field.
- Use the Add new item button under the Items to rate section to continue adding the Items to rate.
- Specify if there is a Default rating and type this in.
- Specify if this is to be a Required field.
- Decide if this field is Only visible to editors of the form.
- Select the Save button.
You will see that your new item has appeared on the form, along with a set of edit tool icons just to the left of the item. The cross deletes an item, the up and down arrow keys allow you to move each item up and down one field at a time, and the edit icon allows you to edit the item directly without having to go back into the form editing section.
You also have a set of drop-down menus to the right of the field, which will help the user in a mobile rendition, where small buttons and 'fat fingers' may not be a happy combination!
If you want to view the form, rather than add further elements, select the Done button, which is in the top right hand corner of the page. The user will see a different published view according to what device they are viewing the form on. Here is their view in desktop:
And the view in mobile:
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem