Enables you to unlink the set of recurring events so you can edit or delete each event individually
When you create a series of recurring events, the series is linked together. However it can sometimes be frustrating to find that once these are created, they act collectively and if you edit one, you edit the whole series, when all you really want to do is edit just one of the bunch.
So, there is a function to unlink all the events and be able to edit them individually. However, once the events are unlinked, there is no re-linking them, so it is advisable to create a series initially with as much commonality as they share and then unlink them when it comes to editing the specifics.
For example, you could create a series of recurring events such as 'Weekly Seminar for Year 2', repeating until the end of term, on the same day, at the same time and in the same location. Once created, you could then unlink the events and edit each event with details of the content and speaker etc.
- Go to the Calendar page you wish to edit.
- Either create a new event or edit an existing one. You may also need to read How do I create or edit an event to make it a recurring event?
- When there is a series of events, that you wish to unlink, then Select one of the events, and you should see a pop-up screen like this:
Next to the title of the event, there are five icons: i-cal (for importing the calendar; - a pencil (for editing), page (for copying) a cross (for deleting), and a broken link (the unlink option).
- Select the Unlink icon. A warning notice will advise you that once unlinked the events cannot be relinked again.
- If you want to continue, select the Unlink calendar item. When you next view the calendar you will see that each event can now be edited separately.
Another ocassion, where you may wish to unlink a series of events is when you would like to delete just one occurrence instead of the whole series.
- Select one of the events to edit.
- Choose the cross icon to delete. If it is a linked event, the following pop-up will be displayed:
You are given the option Delete this (one) occurrence or Delete the series. If you delete just the one event, then the items will all be unlinked to enable you to edit or delete each one accordingly. Remember that once the items are unlinked, they then cannot be re-linked later.
- Chose your option.
- Select the Delete calendar item button to confirm the action.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem