Use the news page template as the central place on your website to publish news items. You can then embed a ‘feed’ of headlines in any other page e.g. your home page. When you publish a news item, the headlines list updates automatically.
You can also embed a feed of news items which are tagged with a specific keyword – say, ‘Publications’. Some departments do this on their ‘Research’ landing page.
Here's an example news feed in the second row of the Faculty of Social Sciences' home page:
- Browse to the page where you want to add the headlines list.
- Go to Edit > Edit centre content (or Edit right content).
- Place your cursor in the content editor where you want to add the list.
In the toolbar, go to Insert a... > News headlines list. The Insert news headlines window appears:
- In the Page path text box, select the page picker button and browse to the location of the news page you want to take a feed from. Alternatively, enter the relative link to the news page.
- Choose the number of news items to display by entering a number in the Show up to n items box.
- You can choose whether headlines in your list link to the full news item (or URL if that option has been used for the item) or just display as static text. Select the Headlines are clickable links checkbox if you want the former.
- Choose whether or not to Show publication dates above each headline by (un)selecting the related checkbox.
- Choose whether or not to Show thumbnail images alongside each headline by (un)selecting the related checkbox.
- Optionally, restrict the number of characters displayed in the headline or story by entering a number in the Show only first n characters boxes.
- Under the Display options, choose how you want the headlines to appear.
Optionally, you can limit the headlines list to only show items with particular tags. To do so, in the Filter by tag text box, type the tags separated by commas. For example:
When you have finished specifying the options, select the Insert button. You should now see text similar to the following in the content editor:
[sched-news num=3 showthumbnails=true tags='Postgraduate,Publications,Research seminars']/fac/soc/dept/news[/sched-news]
The attributes of the
[sched-news]tag in the example above specify:
- show three news items
- show thumbnail images alongside each headline
- only show news items which have any of the following tags: Postgraduate, Publications or Research seminars
- When you have finished editing your page, select the Publish button in the toolbar. You should see the news items in a list. When you add a news item to your main news page in the future, the headlines list updates automatically.
Email webteam at warwick dot ac dot uk
How to report a problem