The University Legal Services section is part of the Deputy Registrar's Office, which is headed by the Deputy Registrar and is located on the second floor of University House. We work on a number of legal matters, as well as with colleagues across other departments including Research Support Services, the Finance Office, Warwick Ventures, the Library and others. We also consult with external legal support where required.
Katherine Pears, Administrative Officer (Compliance)
Tel: 024 7615 1020
Email: Katherine dot Pears at warwick dot ac dot uk
Katherine is responsible for providing advice and support on matters of legal compliance in relation to information provision, including the coordination and management of the University’s responses to Data Protection and Freedom of Information and compliance with copyright law in respect of teaching and research activities. Katherine has worked at the University since 2013.
Kirsty McKeown, Administrative Assistant (Compliance)
Tel: 024 7657 3409
Email: Kirsty dot McKeown at warwick dot ac dot uk
Kirsty provides Administrative support to the legal compliance team and deals with the day to day operation of Freedom of Information and Subject Access Requests. Kirsty has worked at the University since 2016.
The following are issues that we in the Legal Services team can deal with directly:
- Freedom of Information, Data Protection, Copyright, Records Management & Complaints Procedures: please consult the tabs to the top of this page or contact infocompliance at warwick dot ac dot uk.
At the University legal issues can cut across a number of different operational areas. As such there are occasions where other departments may be better placed to address particular queries you may have. Please review the list below of relevant contacts.
- Employment Issues: if you are a member of staff wanting to talk about an employment issue, please contact the Personnel Adviser for your department or section. Otherwise please contact Gillian McGratten at Gillian dot McGrattan at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Contractual Issues & any other Legal Issues: please contact Jacob Langlands at J dot M dot A dot Langlands at warwick dot ac dot uk.
- Research Grants & Contracts: please contact Catherine Cochrane at C dot A dot Cochrane at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Purchasing or Insurance Issues: please contact Pauline Mealing at P dot E dot Mealing at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Accounting & Taxation Issues: please contact Andrew Smith at A dot H dot Smith at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Safety & Occupational Health Issues: please contact John Phillips J dot Phillips dot 3 at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Property Issues (including leasing): please contact James Breckon at J dot Breckon at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Student Discipline Issues: please contact Yvonne Salter Wright Y dot Salter-Wright at warwick dot ac dot uk
- Spin Off Companies: please contact Quentin Compton-Bishop at Q dot M dot Compton-Bishop at warwick dot ac dot uk
What We Do Not Deal With
The University Legal Services team will offer legal support and guidance on all issues affecting the University as an institution, as well as legal issues affecting staff work (such as publishing or copyright issues). We do not however provide personal legal consultation independent of the University. We also do not engage in discussions or correspondence with individuals or organisations external to the University regarding confidential University legal issues, except where required to by statutory obligation or in those exceptional cases where the University determines it is appropriate to do so.