My research interests include text and data mining, natural language processing, biological text mining, computational semantics, scientific discourse structure, sentiment analysis.
My work has contributed to advances in knowledge discovery from corpora, automation of scientific experimentation and automatic extraction of information from the scientific literature. In recent years I have focussed on the annotation and automatic identification of discourse structure in scientific literature in terms of the core components of scientific investigations. I have used these annotations to create automatic summaries and in a number of other biomedical applications with a potential impact in healthcare, such as the dynamic enhancement of drug package information interactions and the facilitation of cancer risk assessment.
As a member of CUSP, I would like to initiate and be involved in projects that would analyse data from social media and other textual resources. I am particularly interested in helping detect mental illness and prevent crises as well as facilitating access to scientific knowledge for medics, carers, patients and biomedical scientists.
- Liakata Maria, Saha Shyamasree, Dobnik Simon and Batchelor Colin and Dietrich Rebholz-Schuhmann. (2012). Automatic recognition of conceptualization zones in scientific articles and two life science applications. Bioinformatics 2012 28: 991-1000
- Liakata Maria, Jee-Hyub Kim, Shyamasree Saha, Janna Hastings, and Dietrich Rebholz-Schuhmann.(2012). Three Hybrid Classifiers for the Detection of Emotions in Suicide Notes. Biomedical Informatics Insights 2012:5 (Suppl. 1) 175-184
- Guo Y., Korhonen A., Liakata M., Silins I., Hogberg J. and Stenius U. (2011). A comparison and user-based evaluation of models of textual information structure in the context of cancer risk assessment. In BMC Bioinformatics 2011 12:69
- Liakata M., Teufel S., Siddharthan A., Batchelor C. (2010). Corpora for conceptualisation and zoning of scientific papers. In Proceedings of the Seventh conference on International Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC10), May 2010.
- Scott IM, Vermeer CP, Liakata M, Corol DI, Ward JL, Lin W, Johnson HE, Whitehead L, Kular B,
Baker JM, Walsh S, Dave A, Larson TR, Graham IA, Wang TL, King RD, Draper J, Beale MH. (2010).
Enhancement of plant metabolite fingerprinting by machine learning. Plant Physiology.
2010 Aug;153(4):1506-20. Epub 2010 Jun 21.
- King, R. D., Rowland, J., Oliver, S. G., Young, M., Aubrey, W., Byrne, E., Liakata, M., Markham, M., Pir, P., Soldatova, L. N., Sparkes, A., Whelan, K. E., Clare, A. (2009) The Automation of Science. Science 324(5923):85-89, 3rd April 2009.