Professor Jihong Wang
Jihong Wang, BEng, MSc, PhD (FIET, SM IEEE)
Professor Wang joined the School of Engineering at the University of Warwick in January 2011. Her previous post was in the School of Electronic, Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Birmingham, where she was professor of Control and Electrical Power and Deputy Director of the Midlands Energy Graduate School. She has also served as Lecturer and Senior Lecturer at the University of Liverpool from 1998 to 2007. She has published over 100 technical papers and gained two best paper awards. Her research has led to several practical innovations, including a smart voltage controller product which can save 7-10% electricity for domestic householders. A clean pneumatic UPS (uninterrupted power supply) was also developed through a previous joint research project with industry; this avoids chemical battery waste and environmental contamination. She is now leading EPSRC Grand Challenge Project in Energy Storage - IMAGES to study of grid scale energy storage technologies. She is a Technical Editor to IEEE Trans. on Mechatronics and is Associate Editor to two other international journals.
- Power system modelling, control and monitoring, including large scale power plant modelling and control
- Energy efficient actuators and systems
- Nonlinear system control theory with industrial applications
Current Funded Research Projects
- Integrated Market-fit and Affordable Grid-scale Energy Storage (IMAGES), Funded by EPSRC (EP/K002228/1), 2012-2017
- New Control Methodology for the Next Generation of Engine Management Systems, Funded by EPSRC (EP/J01043X), 2013 - 2016
- Flexible and Efficient Power Plant: Flex-E-Plant, Funded by EPSRC (EP/K021095/1), 2013-2018
- Battery Characterisation and Management - the key to Smart Grids and the Integration of Electric Vehicles, Funded by EPSRC (EP/L001004/1), 2013-2016
- SUPERGEN Energy Storage Hub, Funded by EPSRC (EP/L019469), 2014-2019.
- Next Generation Grid Scale Thermal Energy Storage Technologies (NexGen-TEST), funded by EPSRC (EP/L014211), 2014-2017.
ADAPTIVE ELECTRIC DRIVE CONTROLLER, funded by TSB, 2015-2017.
- Ultra-Supercritical (USC) steam power generation technology with Circulating Fluidized Bed (CFB): Combustion, Materials and Modelling, funded by EPSRC (EP/M01536X/1), 2015-2018.
Gayathri, V., Prasanna, P., Velraj, R., Wang, J., A review on Compressed Air Energy Storage- a pathway for smart grid and polygeneration, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews pp. 895-907, DOI. 10.1016/j.rser.2016.05.002, 2016.
He, W., Luo, X, Kiselychnuk, O, Wang, J., M H Shaheed, Maximum power tracking (MPPT) control of pressure retarded osmosis (PRO) salinity power plant: Development and comparison of different techniques, doi:10.1016/j.desal.2016.01.022, Desalination, 2016.
Liu, H., Wang, J., Kiselychnyk, O., Mathematical modelling and control of a cost effective AC voltage stabiliser, IEEE Trans on Power Electronics, DOI 10.1109/TPEL.2015.2514180, 2016.
Wang, Y, Bermukhambetova, A, Wang J, Dooner, M., Lv, J, Gao, Q., Modelling of the Whole Process of a University Campus CHP Power Plant and Dynamic Performance Study, IJAC, Vol. 13 no. 1, 2016.
Luo, X., Wang, J., Krupke, C, Wang, Y, Sheng, Y, Li, J, Xu, L, Wang, D, Miao, S, Chen, H, Modelling study, efficiency analysis and optimisation of large-scale Adiabatic Compressed Air Energy Storage systems with low-temperature thermal storage, Applied Energy, Vol.162, pp.589–600, 2016.
Garvey, S., Eames, P.C., Wang, J., etal. On generation-integrated energy storage, Energy Policy, Vol. 86. Pp544-551, 2015. DOI: 10.1016/j.enpol.2015.08.00, 2015.
Kiselychnyk, O., Bodson, M., Wang, J., Model of a self-excited induction generator for the systematic design of voltage controllers, IEEE Trans on Energy Conversion, No.4, Vol.30, pp1310-1320, 2015.
- Sun, H., Luo, X., Wang J., Feasibility study of a hybrid wind turbine system - integration with Compressed Air Energy Storage, Applied Energy, Vol. 137, pp617-628, 2015.
Draganescu, M., Guo, S., Wojcik, J., Wang, J., Liu, X.J., Hou, G.L., Xue, Y.L. and Gao, Q.R., Generalized predictive control for superheated steam temperature regulation in a supercritical coal-fired power plant, CSEE Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp69-77, 2015.
Luo, X, Wang, J., Dooner, M., Clarke, J., Overview of current development in electrical energy storage technologies and the application potential in power system operation, Applied Energy, Vol. 137, pp511-536, 2015.
Ma, H., Xu, H.M., Wang J., Schnier, T., Neaves, B., Tan, C., Wang, Z., Model-based multi-objective evolutionary algorithm optimization for HCCI engines, IEEE Trans on Vehicular Technology, Vol 64, Issue 9, pp4326-4331, 10.1109/TVT.2014.2362954, 2015.
Dooner, M., Wang, J., Mouzakitis, A., Dynamic modelling and experimental validation of an automative windshield wiper system for hardware in the loop simulation, System Science and Control Engineering, Vol.3, pp230-239, 2015.
- Wang, Y, Wang J, Luo, X., Guo, S., Lv, J, Gao, Q., Dynamic modelling and simulation of IGCC process with Texaco gasifier using different coal, System Science and Control Engineering, Vol.3, pp198-210, 2015.