Top tip number 1
When manually entering a corporate or institutional author into a new reference, always type a comma after the name to ensure correct formatting. For example "University of Warwick," or "Department of Education,"
Top tip number 2
If you work off-campus often, and find you have limited access to referencing styles, you may need to renew your access. Just click on the "Access EndNote" button to the right of this page and login with your Uni ID and Password.
Top tip number 3
The two most commonly used import filters are "EndNote Import" and "RefMan RIS", so try these first. Use "EndNote Import" for .enw files and "Refman RIS" for .ris files.
Top tip number 4
If you are working in Word and want to add a page number to your citation. Click “Edit citation” from the toolbar and remember to use the “Suffix” box, not the Pages box.
Top tip number 5
If you can't login to Cite While You Write in Word, try clearing the cache or history on your internet browser.
Top tip number 6
To export references from Google Scholar go to “Settings” and select “Show links to import citations into EndNote”.
EndNote is software which helps you to organise your references and to automatically format citations, reference lists and bibliographies in Word.
There are two versions of EndNote.
"EndNote Online" (formerly EndNote Web) is the free online version of this software. Whilst you are a member of the University of Warwick, you will get an enhanced online account with more referencing styles and storage space. This version will meet the research needs of most people. The Library run workshops on EndNote Online.
"EndNote" is the full version of the software that includes a purchased desktop version with additional features and an enhanced online account. If you are conducting systematic reviews or similar large research projects, you may find this version more helpful. The desktop version is available on all IT Services managed machines. If you wish to use it on a personal device you will need to buy your own licence.
For further comparison between the two versions please refer to this table.
Both versions of EndNote are compatible with Windows and Mac. View compatibility and system requirements.
Video quick guides
The videos below will show you how to use EndNote Online to collect and manage your references, and to automatically format citations, reference lists and bibliographies in Word. Use the video thumbnails on the right to scroll through the series of short videos.
Help for EndNote Online
- Download our guide to getting started and using the main features of EndNote Online.
- Need help with importing references from the various databases to your EndNote account? Find your database and follow the instructions.
- Any other questions? Have a look at our FAQs covering access, reference management and formatting documents.
Help for EndNote (Desktop)
- Download the EndNote Desktop training manual
- See the IT Services website for EndNote desktop training sessions
- Install the Harvard (Warwick WMS) referencing style
- If you want to use the Harvard (Warwick WMS) referencing style you need to install the style file. To do this, go to Edit > Preferences > Folder Locations and note the location of the styles folder. Then save this file and upload to the styles folder.
- Sending records from Encore to EndNote
- You can send the details of books found in Encore to your EndNote account. (You cannot send articles frond via Encore to EndNote). To do this, go to Edit > Preferences > Folder Locations and note the location of the Connections folder. Then save this file and upload to the Connections folder.
- Note for EndNote desktop users (April 2016) – If you have already downloaded the connection filter it will need updating due to a system upgrade.
- Either re-install the filter using the above link or Go to Edit > Edit Connection Files > Choose the Warwick connection file (normally called EndNote_u_warwick) > Click Connection Settings > In Server address field remove 188.8.131.52 and enter webcat.warwick.ac.uk.
Access for Warwick customers
Help with EndNote Online
Contact the Library at endnoteweb at warwick dot ac dot uk
Help with EndNote Desktop
Contact IT Services on 024 7657 3737 or Ext. 73737, or helpdesk at warwick dot ac dot uk
Additional help for both EndNote Online and EndNote Desktop can be found in the EndNote Knowledge Base article search.