A single line text box is usually all that is required for fairly simple questions requiring one or just a few words of text.
- Go to the form page you wish to edit.
- Select Edit > Edit formsbuilder page or Edit this form from the bottom of the form. A list of edit options will appear on the left hand side of the form.
- Select the first option under the Add a text box section - a single line text box.
The Add/Edit a single line text box edit screen will be displayed:
- Enter a Field name to be used in submission results. You will see this field is starred in red. This means this is a compulsory field and you will not be able to save the field until this is added. If the Field name is self-explanatory, this can double as the Label.
- Enter a Label for the text box visible to the user. Here you can provide detailed instructions for the user. If you leave the Label blank, then the Field name will be used.
- Enter the Width of the box. The width of the box can be increased according to your needs. The default is 25 characters. Again this is a starred field which must have some value in it.
- Decide if you wish to Limit the characters, if for example you only require a short reply in the textbox and type the number in the box.
- Enter any Prefilled text. This is added to the field before the user types their answer.
- Use the Populate with drop-down menu to automatically add certain details such as the user's full name or university id number (which can be used when the user is logged in).
- If you require the Label on top check this box. The default is that the label or instruction goes to the side.
- If you require the field to be Read-only, check this box. This will disable the user's ability to edit or change a field.
- If you require the text box to be a Required field, check this box. This will red star the field and prevent the user from continuing if they haven't completed the field.
- Decide if you want this field Only visible to editors and check this box.
- Select the Save button.
You will see that your new item has appeared on the form, along with a set of edit tool icons just to the left of the item enabling you to perform the actions.
The cross allows for deleting an item, the up and down arrow keys will allow you to move each item up and down one field at a time, and the edit icon allows you to edit the item directly without having to go back into the form editing section.
If you want to view the form, rather than add further elements, Select the Done button, which is in the top right hand corner of the page.
How do I add/edit a multi-line textbox?